Wednesday 26 March 2014

WHO ARE YOU ?

You are not the number of years the calendar says you have lived on this planet.
You are not the weight that the weighing scale gargles up when you stand on it.
You are not the colour of your eyes or your skin.
You are not the reflection in the mirror.
You are not the perfumes you wear or the watches you sport.
You are not the fancy car that you drive or the clothes that drape you.
You are not your bank balance or the credit cards that you carry in your wallet.
You are not the number of deals you clinch or the number of miles you fly.  
You are not your name, the God that you pray to or the religion you follow.
You are not the surname you inherit from your husband or your father or the one thrust upon by civilization. 

But the who are you ??

You are all the books you read and all the words you speak
You’re the smiles that you spread and the tears that you wipe away.
You are the laughter that comes from your heart and the pain that you try not to show the world.
You are the light in your children eyes and the pride in your parents smile.
You are the songs that you sing all alone when no one is listening and the characters you become in your dreams at night
You are all the places that you have been to and the people you made memories with.
You are all the women or men that you have been with and the love (sometimes dejection, real emotions nonetheless!) that they hold in their heart for you.
You are the photos in your bedroom, the notes in your journals and the unsent letters in your drawer.
You are the knick-knacks that you have collected from the paths that you have travelled and the T-shirts you refuse to throw away for the smell that they carry.
You are the past that has made you and the future that beckons to be made.

And yet, more often than not, we define ourselves by measures that were never meant to define us at all.  



4 comments:

  1. Absolutely lovely... A truth that's so stark & in the face but many of us choose to believe otherwise

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am. All of that. Sadly enough, the measure of who I am never quite accounts for that on this planet. but. I know, I do have those who know me by just that...and I stay eternally grateful for those people in my life. I love this post. It speaks to me...and how!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am me..!!

    I am what I have made the world believe who I am; with a dream- Will bring a change/ a wave!

    Tired, broken, shattered; but yet that fire and energy inside me..!!

    "Someday I will turn all the frowns upside down.!"..- that is a guarantee..

    This is just a little,,just a bit of this little is...ME!!

    - Rajiv Bhatia
    https://www.facebook.com/rajiv.bhatia007

    ReplyDelete